Sewerage Master Plans
In 1989, a sewage disposal strategy was formulated by the Government. Since then, 16 Sewerage Master Plans (SMPs) were produced by Environmental Protection Department to cover all of Hong Kong. Various projects were recommended under these Studies. Drainage Services Department assumes the role of works agent to implement the recommended projects progressively to cater for the present and future development needs.
Review Studies on Sewerage Master Plan
In view of the new and changing development proposals and the latest population forecasts, to ensure that the scope of sewerage works proposed under the 16 SMPs was able to cope with the rapid changes, Environmental Protection Department re-grouped the 16 SMPs in 1995 into 8 areas for conducting the SMP Review Studies. The 8 Sewerage Master Plan Reviews, which have been completed, include:
- Review of Yuen Long and Kam Tin Sewerage and Sewage Treatment Requirements,
- Review of Central and East Kowloon Sewerage Master Plans,
- Review of Tuen Mun and Tsing Yi Sewerage Master Plans,
- Review of Outlying Islands Sewerage Master Plan,
- Review of Hong Kong Island Sewerage Master Plans,
- Review of North District and Tolo Harbour Sewerage Master Plans,
- Review of Tsuen Wan and West Kowloon Sewerage Master Plans,
- Review of Port Shelter and Tseung Kwan O Sewerage Master Plans (considered not necessary)
Various projects recommended under these Reviews are being implemented by Drainage Services Department on a priority basis.