Flow turning process under Harbour Area Treatment Scheme further improves water quality of Victoria Harbour (with photos)
24 September 2015
To further improve the water quality of Victoria Harbour, the flow turning process under the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme (HATS) Stage 2A commenced today (September 24). It will progressively collect the remaining preliminarily treated sewage being discharged into the harbour and convey it to the newly expanded Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works for chemically enhanced primary treatment.
Speaking at a media briefing on the project, the Director of Drainage Services, Mr Edwin Tong, said, "The commencement of the flow turning process is an important milestone for the HATS Stage 2A. It also marks the commissioning of the newly expanded Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works."
He said that the Wan Chai East Preliminary Treatment Works will be the first plant to undergo the process while the remaining seven preliminary treatment works, which are located on the northern and southwestern sides of Hong Kong Island, would complete the process by the end of November.
Expansion of the Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works is part of the major works under the HATS Stage 2A. The expanded plant can handle as much as 2.45 million cubic metres of sewage, equivalent to the volume of 1,000 standard swimming pools, each day and serve more than 70 per cent of the Hong Kong population.
"We will continue with the upgrading measures for the plant to further enhance the reliability and stability of the system. Various beautification and greening works will also be carried out. We expect to progressively complete the remaining works by early 2017," Mr Tong said.
The HATS is the largest sewerage infrastructure project in Hong Kong. It aims to improve the water quality of Victoria Harbour by collecting and treating sewage generated from both sides of the harbour. The project is being implemented in two stages. Facilities under Stage 1 were commissioned in December 2001, providing treatment for 75 per cent of the sewage generated from both sides of the harbour. Stage 2A will treat the remaining 25 per cent of sewage which comes from the northern and southwestern sides of Hong Kong Island. The facilities are scheduled to enter full operation this year.
The Director of Drainage Services, Mr Edwin Tong (right), holds a media briefing on the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme (HATS) Stage 2A today (September 24).
Mr Tong introduces the flow turning process under the HATS Stage 2A.
Mr Tong activates the flow turning process under the HATS Stage 2A.
Mr Tong(centre), Chief Engineer/ Harbour Area Treatment Scheme, Mr Anthony Tsang (left) and Chief Engineer / Sewage Treatment 2, Mr WS Chui (right) respond to questions on flow turning processby media.
8 sewage pumps are installed in the new main pumping station in SCISTW.