The Drainage Services Department (DSD) today (July 10) signed a works contract with the contractor for the design, construction and operation of sludge handling and disposal facilities under the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme (HATS). The $2.08 billion contract is the 12th major works contract awarded under the HATS Stage 2A.
Speaking at the contract signing ceremony, the Director of Drainage Services, Mr Chan Chi-chiu, said, "The works under the HATS Stage 2A have been progressing smoothly since the commencement in July 2009. Upon commissioning of the facilities at the end of next year, the water quality in Victoria Harbour will see further improvement."
The works under the contract awarded today are scheduled for completion by the end of next year. The contract also comprises the procurement of two brand new self-propelled marine vessels fitted with lifting cranes and about 400 sludge containers. The marine vessels will be employed to transport the dewatered sludge generated from the Stonecutters Island Sewage Treatment Works (SCISTW) to sludge treatment facilities for further treatment. The operation phase, with a maximum of 15 years, will commence upon completion of the construction works and the procurement of the aforementioned items.
The HATS is a major sewerage infrastructure project in Hong Kong for improving the water quality of Victoria Harbour. The commissioning of Stage 1 in late 2001 has provided daily treatment for about 75 per cent of the sewage discharged into the Harbour, and has significantly improved the water quality in the eastern and central parts of the Harbour. Stage 2A will collect the remaining 25 per cent of the sewage generated from the northern and southwestern parts of Hong Kong Island. The works comprise the construction of approximately 21 kilometres of sewage tunnels as well as the expansion and upgrading of the SCISTW and related preliminary treatment works on Hong Kong Island.
The Director of Drainage Services, Mr Chan Chi-chiu (third left), attended the contract signing ceremony for the Harbour Area Treatment Scheme Stage 2A today (July 10)