Apart from work, DSD staff actively participate in voluntary services and charity activities to contribute to the well-being of the society. In 2013-14, DSD’s Volunteer Team has contributed over 800 hours in 21 voluntary services. Some major activities are highlighted below.
Voluntary Services and Charity Activities
Interest Classes for the Elderly
Our Volunteer Team organised monthly interest classes for the elderly at Lai Yiu Bradbury Care Home. We interacted with the elderly and worked with them to explore creative ideas in making key holders, lanterns and hand straps.
"Hong Kong Citizen, Hong Kong Heart" Campaign and Elderly Visiting Activities
DSD Volunteer Team joined the "Hong Kong Citizen, Hong Kong Heart" Campaign organised by the Social Welfare Department to make and deliver auspicious gifts with blessing to the elderly. We also collaborated with the working partners and arranged some elderly visiting activities.
"Hong Kong Cleanup" Campaign
Committed to keeping the shorelines clean, our Green Champions and Volunteer Team joined the "Hong Kong Cleanup" Campaign to clean up several coastal beaches in Peng Chau in November 2013.
Apart from the above, we also participated in and supported various charity events and fund-raising activities this year. These included:
- Participated in the Lifeline Express Charity Run and Walk to raise fund for the Lifeline Express, a hospital eye-train that provides free cataract operations to the underprivileged patients in rural China
- Formed teams to join the Sowers Action Challenging 12 Hours charity marathon organised by the Sowers Action to raise fund for the Foundation Education Development Programme in China
- Took part in the Oxfam Trailwalker to support Oxfam’s various poverty alleviation and emergency relief projects in Africa and Asia, including Hong Kong and mainland China
- Joined the Green Power Hike to raise fund for the promotion of environmental education
- Continued to support the Community Chest’s Skip Lunch Day, Love Teeth Day and Dress Casual Day to raise fund for the services of the Chest’s member social welfare agencies
- Raised fund in support of various charitable organisations’ services, e.g. the World Vision’s ”Skip-A-Meal” and the ”Oxfam Rice” Sale, etc.